When you're first setting up beacons around the office, you may encounter some weird behavior. Most commonly it's just a matter of small configuration changes.
Here are some of the common issues we've come across, and how to fix them.
- My app isn't detecting beacons
- My app shows me in the wrong space
- I left a space a few minutes ago but the app still shows I'm there
"The app isn't detecting beacons"
Clear your beacon cache
Before Robin will detect your new beacons, you'll need to clear the beacon cache from the mobile app. Typically, this just needs to be done once after new beacon set-up.
You can clear your beacon cache from the Settings menu in the mobile app. Tap "Clear beacon and space data" to start detecting new beacons.
Check your device
- The Robin app works with iPhone 4s+. Robin will not work on earlier phones which do not support Bluetooth LE (i.e. Bluetooth 4.0).
- Is your phone running the most recent version of iOS? We've found that the app works much better with improvements to Bluetooth found in iOS 8+.
- Do you have the latest version of the app on your phone? Check your App Store app for updates.
Check your presence settings
Open the settings page in your app. Make sure "Presence" is switched to the ON position.
Does the app have the permissions necessary to connect to the beacon?
To check, follow these steps:
- Open the Robin mobile app and login.
- Go to the Settings screen in the app (it looks like a cog) and tap "Status"
- Are all dots green? If so, you're good to go. A red dot shows which permissions are still needed.
- If you see a red dot, tap to see instructions for a fix.
Confirm beacons are set up correctly
- Make sure you've set up beacons within the web dashboard and you (and your phone) are within a few feet of the beacon.
- Make sure you've enabled the "Automatic booking" setting on the space level for impromptu events in order for beacons to recognize the event.
- Force quit and reopen the app
- In some cases, the app has trouble seeing beacons just after initial set-up. Restarting the app tends to resolve this issue.
"The app shows me in the wrong space"
When a beacon's range is too large, your phone can pick up the beacon's signals even if you're on the other side of the office. An admin may need to adjust the range of the beacon from the web dashboard or through the beacon manager.
"I left a few minutes ago but the app thinks I'm still there"
Robin does its best to ensure accuracy when it reports presence. However, the refresh rate for both the app and the dashboard may be a few minutes off. In rare cases, Robin may show that you're still in a space up to 20 minutes after you've left a space.
Still having trouble?
Reach out to us and we'll get you sorted quickly.