Sometimes called "reverse hoteling" or desk sharing, this feature allows people to temporarily let others use their assigned seat when out of office. Think "While I'm on vacation, make my desk available for hot desking".
- How it works
- Setting up reverse hoteling
- Managing desk availability
- Booking a reverse hoteled desk
How it works
Shared seating or "Reverse hoteling" is a desk configuration for assigned seats (only) that allow employees to open their assigned desk up for others to use while they're out of the office. Users can manage their own desk availability and/or admins can manage it on the user's behalf.
Tips to get started:
- Desk sharing is only available for assigned seats.
- Sharing a desk or managing desk availability can only be done from the web dashboard, but you can book a desk that has been shared from the dashboard, mobile app, or interactive kiosk.
- Desk sharing or "Reverse hoteled" desks are shared desks that can be reserved for a day (even hourly) or multiple days. And they can be reserved in advance or for that day.
Watch the tutorial or follow the steps outlined below
Setting up desk sharing
Admins can manage which desk spaces in the office can "reverse hotel" by enabling the feature for an entire building or by desk groups.
Enable on office building level
1. Navigate to Manage > Offices.
2. Select a building > scroll down to the "Desk reservation policies" section.
3. Toggle the Desk sharing setting.
4. Click the blue Apply to all button at the top.
Enable on desk group level
1. Start on the Office search page > Edit floor drop-down in right corner of the map.
2. Click Layout.
3. Then drag your cursor over a group of desks to highlight/select them and a menu panel on the right will open.
4. Click the Policies tab > blue + button to add policies > select Desk sharing policy to apply it the selected desks. (See an example here)
⭐ The more granular setting takes precedence over higher-level settings.
Managing desk sharing availability
Employees can manage their own desk availability from their user profile and/or admins can share employee's desks on their behalf from the office map.
Manage your own desk
1. To manage your desk availability, follow the View upcoming desks link on the home card on the Office search page or navigate to your user profile icon in the top right corner > select Profile.
This will take you to your user profile page where you can manage your desk(s).
2. Select Share desk to open your desk calendar. Skip down to step 3.
Robin admins can temporarily free up someone’s seat while they’re out of the office and reserve desks for themselves or others from the web dashboard. If an admin shares someone's desk, the user will receive an email notification letting them know the day(s) their desk was made available for others to use.
1. From the Office search page in the dashboard, select a user's desk on the map or click View desks bubble to use the search tool . Remember, desk sharing is only available for assigned seats/desks.
2. From the modal, select the 3 action dots > Share desk.
Users & admins
3. Using the calendar modal, click the day(s) the desk can be shared for others to use. This will put the desk into the flexible pool of desks for that day(s).
Blue = Reserved for you as the assignee, not shared.
White = shared, the desk is open & available.
Grey (/) = In use
4. Select save. Or discard changes to redo the desk availability.
When your seat is shared. . .
We'll let folks know when they're booking a desk that is usually someone else's desk so folks are less confused by all the framed cat pictures and are mindful of the space.
The image above is from the Robin dashboard
To confirm if you or your office admin shared ("reverse hoteled") your assigned seat, check for a “Shared” label next to your desk details on the Office search home card.
When your seat has been shared, you’ll receive an email letting you know the day(s) your desk might be available for others to use.
Booking a shared desk
A shared desk is an assigned seat temporarily flipped into a flexible desk. Just like flexible desks, shared desks are reservable for a day or for multiple days, depending on your office's desk policies & availability, and can be reserved the same day or in advance.
You can reserve a desk for yourself from the Robin dashboard, mobile app, and office kiosks. Use the guides below to learn more.
Admins can reserve a shared desk on a user's behalf from the Robin dashboard only. And remember, admins can reserve a shared desk for themselves, just like any user, from the dashboard, mobile app, or kiosk.