User Permissions Required
- Custom roles: Reserve & Assign at the location/building level + delegation permission
- Admin or owner role
Manage the transition back to the office with interactive desk & map tools. Experiment with layouts of safely distanced desks and visualize and manage capacity using the configuration tool. Run through the prerequisites outlined below before getting started.
This guide assumes that you already:
- Submitted floor plans to your Account Manager and the converted Maps have been successfully uploaded to your Robin account.
- Created floors in Robin to assign your map to the corresponding floor.
- Created desks on the map
Watch the tutorial below or follow the guide
- To move around the map, simply click and drag
- Zoom in to see the desk assignee names.
- To switch to another floor in the building, select the "Floor" button in the top right corner.
- Select multiple desks, hold shift + cursor.
- Adjust the size of the distance radius by hovering over the edge of green bubble to activate the resizing tool. See example below. Note, the size does not save between draft sessions.
Keyboard shortcuts menu
Once you have desks selected they'll be highlighted in blue a menu on the right side will appear:
- Click on a desk to select it.
- To select multiple desks, hold shift + click desks.
- To select a group of desks, drag the cursor across the desks.
- Toggle desks on or off to change the availability
- Use the toggle at the top right to make desks available/unavailable. When a desk becomes available the impact radius will appear.
- Hover over the edge of the green bubble to adjust the size of the distance radius. Note, the size does not save between draft sessions. (See an example here)
If folks are currently assigned to desks or have desk reservations, it's important to note that changing a desk to "unavailable" status or "starting a new plan" will unassign the person from that desk or terminate reservations. Don't panic if you weren't ready to cancel desk assignments or reservations-- remember this is only a draft. No changes are official until you publish the draft. However, once it's published we cannot recover or revert back to the original plan.
(Optional) Change the desk type
Using the right side menu > desk type drop-down > select assigned, hotel, or hot. (The desk type can be changed using the Layout desk tool too.)
⚡Hot tip: Hold the CMD/CTRL button while clicking desks to automatically switch the availability status.
(Optional) Limit daily capacity
The floor overview legend helps measure desk availability & manage office capacity.
To set a daily limit on the number of bookable flexible desks, toggle the daily limit capacity on & enter a max #. Note, the capacity limitation only applies to hot and hotel desks.
This gives employees the flexibility to choose where they want to work from a pool of desks; however, once the cap is reached, any remaining desks become unavailable to book.
Desk status legend
Available = The desk is empty, and you can use it.
Unavailable = The desk is empty and cannot be booked.
Active = The desk is visible and actively managed within Robin. End-users may reserve or interact with it.
Archived = The desk is archived and not active in any user-facing features. Only admins may reactivate them. Your organization is no longer billed for the desk.
Save & publish changes
Whether you're assigning seats for the first time, shuffling folks around, changing desk types, or available/unavailable desks, you're working in draft mode.
But let's say you're not ready to push those changes out for everyone to see?
Exit the draft mode and all the edits will automatically be saved as a draft. Seat assignments and desks operate under the same draft.
If your floor plan is made up of assigned seating then Return to seat assignment mode (top center buttons) to reassign the active desks via drag & drop.
Read before publishing!
Publishing a draft will wipe out all current seat assignments and desk reservations. We do not store original copies of floor plans & seating arrangements. The original arrangement cannot be retrogressed on our end. We recommend triple-checking the new plan before publishing a draft. No changes are official until you publish the draft. Or you can discard the draft and all assignments/reservations will remain the same.
When you're ready go live with the seat assignments and/or desk management plan, select Review and publish in the top right corner. Or discard the proposed draft changes.
Review the changes outlined in the modal:
The review and publish modal summarizes any changes made to seat assignments & the impact it has on flexible desk reservations. Note: The “Notify people of changes via email” flag notifies users that there's been a change to their seat or desk reservation.
Lastly, the user who is publishing the draft will receive an email receipt that displays the impact on seat assignments & desk reservations. This gives office managers a historic view of the changes and the ability to follow up with users that may need to reserve another seat.