This is a beta feature
This feature is still in early beta preview. While we continue testing, you may notice some changes or bumps along the way. Admins, If you don't see this setting on your desk management page and you're interested in learning more, contact your Account Manager for details.
- How it works
- Configuring reverse hoteling
- Managing desk availability
- Booking a reverse hoteled desk
Sometimes called "reverse hoteling", this feature allows people to temporarily let others use their assigned seat when out of office. Think "While I'm on vacation, make my desk available for hot desking".
How it works
Reverse hoteling is a desk configuration for assigned seats only that allow employees to open their assigned desk up for others to use while they're out of the office. Users can manage their own desk availability and/or admins can manage it on users behalf.
Tips to get started:
- "Reverse hoteling" is only available for assigned seats.
- You can only "reverse hotel" a desk from the web dashboard, but you can book a desk that has been "reverse hoteled" from the dashboard, mobile app, or interactive kiosk.
- Today, "Reverse hoteled" desks act like hot desks. That means they can only be booked for today, not in the future or in advance.
- In the rare occasion, you have more than one assigned seat, you can only "reverse hotel" one of your desks at a time.
Configuring Reverse Hoteling
Admins can manage which desk spaces in the office can reverse hotel by enabling the feature for an entire desk space or by desk groups.
To apply the setting to an entire desk space that includes multiple desk groups, navigate to Manage > Offices > select a building > select a space for desks > under "Desk reservation policies" section > toggle the "Allow reverse hoteling" setting.
To apply the setting to a particular desk group(s), on the Desk space page > select a desk group > under "Desk reservation policies" section > toggle the "Allow reverse hoteling" setting.
Managing desk availability
Reverse hoteling is only available for assigned seats.
1. To manage your desk availability, in the top right corner next to your user profile icon, click "manage". This will open your desk calendar. Skip down to step 3.
1. Using the Office tab in the Robin dashboard, select the users desk from the list or on the map. Remember, reverse hoteling is only available for assigned seats/desks.
2. From the modal, select Manage desk.
Users & admins
3. Using the calendar modal, select the days the desk can be shared for others to use. Changes will auto-save.
Blue = Reserved for you, not shared. White= shared, the desk is open & available.
We'll let folks know when they're booking a desk that is usually someone else's desk so folks are less confused by all the framed cat pictures and are mindful of the space.
Image above is from the Robin dashboard
To confirm if you or your office admin shared ("reverse hoteled") your assigned seat, check for a “Shared” label next to your desk name in the top right corner of the dashboard.
Booking a "reverse hotel" desk
A reverse hotel desk is an assigned seat temporarily flipped into a flexible hot desk. If you're not familiar with hot desk reservations, it's important to note that hot desks are for 1 day only booking & cannot be reserved in advance.
You can reserve a desk from the Robin dashboard, mobile app, and office kiosks. Use the guides below to learn more.
Here is a glance at what it looks like from the Robin dashboard