A calendar resource (aka “resource calendar,” “room calendar”) is a special type of calendar meant for shared resources like rooms or equipment (i.e., camera equipment) that can only do one thing at a time. Robin and Google Workspace work best when you use resource calendars. Using shared calendars is not recommended.
Before you start, you need
A Google Workspace for Business account.
Access to a Google admin account.
At least one office building in Google. Google Calendar uses buildings as the foundation for all your resources. If you need to add a building, follow the Google steps here.
A list of all your conference rooms ready.
This video walkthrough shows you how to set up calendars for your rooms in under a minute.
- Sign into your Google admin account to access the Google Admin console.
If you see a list of Google Accounts on the sign-in page, be sure to choose your admin account (it does not end in @gmail.com).
- In the Admin console on the left panel, click Apps > Google Workspace > Calendar > click on the Resources section to open it.
- Click the yellow + add button.
- (If you don't have any buildings listed, you need to add one before you can add resources. Click the Add building link to create one.)
- Enter the resource name, type, and description. Pro Tip: Follow Google's recommendations for structured resources.
- Click Add Resource.
By default, managed resources are shared with people in your organization and are set to "Auto-accept invitations that do not conflict." If you want to share resource calendars with specific people or a group in Google, refer to Google's guide here.